I have a fido cell phone, and I want to change to speakout, call I keep the old phone number?
Yes, you can. If you're planning to transfer your number to SpeakOut make sure that your number with Fido is still active. To transfer a wireless number to SpeakOut here’s what you need:
- Your current wireless phone number and most recent monthly bill, OR
- Your phone number and one of the following: your account number, your password/PIN, or your phone’s Electronic Serial
- Number/Mobile Equipment Identifier (ESN/IMEI) number which is located on the back of your phone under the battery. source
1. if I have a US # can I transfer it to Speak out while traveling in Canada?
2. Upon completion of my travels can I transfer the # from Speak Out back to my current carrier?
3. Can I purchase a Speak Out Sim card here in Hawaii that I can use in Vancouver or do I have to wait till I get to Canada to purchase the Speak Out Sim Card?
UPDATE: As of today, here is the official answers from the SpeakOut website regarding number portability:
Q. Can I port my landline?
“Yes, in some cases you will be able to keep the same phone number when transferring your landline phone service to wireless service. However, in some rural areas numbers are not eligible for Number Portability at this time.
Q. Will I be able to keep my existing phone when I make the switch to SpeakOut Wireless?
“Perhaps. If you have an unlocked GSM phone, you can purchase a SpeakOut SIM card allowing you to take advantage of SpeakOut services on your existing phone. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a new SpeakOut Wireless phone."
Q. Can I port my existing Pre-Paid or Post-Paid wireless number to SpeakOut Wireless?
"Yes. But before considering a switch, you should ensure that your phone number is still active with your existing service provider. Please also note that any unused airtime minutes cannot be carried over to SpeakOut Wireless."
Q. What information will you need from me to transfer my number to SpeakOut?
“To transfer a wireless number to SpeakOut here’s what you need: Your current wireless phone number and most recent monthly bill, OR Your phone number and one of the following: your account number, your password/PIN, or your phone’s Electronic Serial Number/Mobile Equipment Identifier (ESN/IMEI) number which is located on the back of your phone under the battery. Transferring a landline number to SpeakOut: Your most recent monthly bill, as we require your name and address exactly as it appears on your bill.”
Q. How long will it take?
“The process to transfer your number should take about 2 hours to complete during normal business hours. As such, it can take up to 72 hours. Once the transfer is complete, your old phone will stop working and your SpeakOut Wireless number will become active”