Owned by Bell Canada Enterprises since 2009, Virgin Mobile takes a different approach to adding value than other Canadian carriers. Virgin Mobile members enjoy discounts on products and services, travel deals, early access to tickets for Virgin-sponsored events and exclusive giveaways.
Virgin Mobile offers both postpaid and prepaid services. Postpaid plans currently range from $25 to $100 per month before add-ons and fees. Prepaid plans currently range between $15 and $70 per month. Most Virgin Mobile plans include unlimited weekend and evening calling as well as unlimited text messaging.
If you need a phone, Virgin Mobile’s Silver, Gold and Platinum plans provide an upfront subsidy in exchange for a 2-year term commitment. Want to bring your own phone? Virgin Mobile’s network supports most 4G or HSPA devices.
Member Benefits: All Virgin Mobile account holders enjoy discounts on popular beauty and fashion brands, pre-sale offers for concerts, entry to advance movie screenings and discounts on travel and hotels. There’s various sweepstakes and drawings too!
Multi-Tier Phone Subsidies: While most plans feature the same 2-year term, three different monthly payment options allow to choose how much you’ll save upfront in exchange for your commitment.
Roam Sweet Roam: Flat-rate per-day roaming in more than 100 destinations lets you spend more time enjoying your trip with less worry about an outrageous bill when you get home.
Awards and Recognitions
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
Virgin Mobile claims that their network covers 98% of Canadians through their partnership with the Bell Mobility network.
While data from OpenSignal does not specifically cover Virgin Mobile, it breaks down network types for Bell Mobility as follows:
- 50% LTE (4G)
- 33% HSPA+ (4G)
- 11% HSPA (3G)
- 6% UMTS (3G)
You can check coverage and network types in your area on their Coverage Map.
Notable considerations include:
- Slower speed and limited coverage are available in the North.
- Extended coverage usage should be limited and long-distance calling fees may apply.
Bell’s network--the same network used by Virgin Mobile--was ranked the fastest network for the nation in PC Magazine’s “Fastest Mobile Networks in Canada 2016” study for the third year in a row. Average national LTE download speeds measured at 59.72Mbit/sec while uploads came in at 19.27Mbits/sec.
Additional data from OpenSignal shows an average 4G download speed of 17.6Mbit/sec and 4G upload speeds of 8.5Mbit/sec. 3G download speeds clocked in at 3.4Mbit/sec while uploads averaged 1.1Mbit/sec.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
For the majority of Virgin Mobile plans, calls anywhere within standard network coverage in Canada will not result in roaming fees.
However, if you’re traveling outside the country, you’ll want to take advantage of the features and add-ons available from Virgin Mobile to help minimize costs.
If you’re travelling to the US, options include:
- Roam Sweet Roam: For $5 per-line, per-day, you can enjoy unlimited talk and text with 100MB of dedicated roaming data for use while traveling.
- US Travel Passes: Options range from $10 to $80 per pass. Passes include different mixes of talk time, data and texting depending on your needs.
Pay as you go (PAYG) rates in the US include:
- $1.45 per minute for voice calls
- $0.75 per text
NOTE: PAYG data is not available in the US
For international travel, options include:
- Roam Sweet Roam: For $10 per-line, per-day, you can enjoy unlimited talk and text with 100MB of dedicated roaming data for use while traveling.
- International Travel Passes: Destinations are sorted into 3 zones. Prices vary across zones with the cheapest pass coming in at $30 and the most expensive at $150. Passes include different mixes of talk time, data and texting depending on your needs.
PAYG rates will differ by destination. For more information on Virgin Mobile’s international roaming fees, consult their support page.
What About Long Distance Fees?
For most Virgin Mobile plans--those designated as “Canada-wide”--any calls placed within Canada will be billed as a local call. For plans without Canada-wide calling and for calls to the US, you’ll incur an additional charge of $0.50 per minute.
For international calls, rates vary by country.
If you plan to place frequent international calls, Virgin Mobile offers a few add-ons to help keep your mobile bills budget-friendly!
- Canada-Wide Minutes: Add-ons range from $7 per month for 100 minutes up to unlimited calling for $20.
- Unlimited US Long Distance: For $15 per month, you can call across the border without worrying about long distance fees.
- International Long Distance Saver: For $3 per month, you can enjoy drastic discounts on the per-minute rates to more than 200 countries. Rates start as low as $0.05 per minute.
- Unlimited Long Distance to China and Hong Kong: For $15 per month, you can call China and Hong Kong with no additional fees.
- 1000 Long Distance Minutes to India: For $20 per month, you can call without worry to India. Additional minutes are billed at $0.95.
For more information on pricing and add-on options, check their International Calling Add-ons page.
Does Virgin Mobile Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes. If you have a supported iPhone model, they allow calling over Wi-Fi at no additional charge. They do not currently offer an app for Wi-Fi calling on non-supported phones.
For additional information on compatibility or usage, consult their Wi-Fi Calling page.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Yes. Virgin Mobile supports both Voice over LTE and Video over LTE on compatible devices. When using VoLTE service, you can switch between voice and video calls as well as use 4G data while on calls.
Not sure if your phone is compatible? Check their Bolt to VoLTE page.
For LTE coverage in your area, check their coverage map.
Can I Tether My Mobile?
Virgin Mobile allows tethering for all members with a smartphone and an active data plan. Keep in mind that tethered devices might use data faster than your phone. Be sure to monitor your data bucket to ensure there are no surprises when the bill arrives.
Do They Offer Data Rollover?
No, any data or top-ups purchased are good for the current month of service or prepaid term only.
Does Virgin Mobile Offer Add-ons or Bundles?
Yes! Virgin Mobile has a wealth of add-ons and bundles to help you add features to your plan and get the most out of your mobile subscription.
Popular options include:
- Mobile TV: For $8 per month, you gain access to more than 40 channels anywhere you have coverage. 5 hours of Wi-Fi viewing is included. Streaming shows over data incurs charges at normal data rates.
- Bundle 10: For $10 per month, you can enjoy Mobile TV access and premium voicemail services--including visual voicemail and voicemail transcription.
- Unlimited Anytime Minutes: Talk until your battery dies for only $25 per month.
- Voicemail Booster: $4 per month increases your voicemail storage to be sure you never miss a message.
Prepaid plans also feature a number of add-ons to add data, minutes and texting features to any plan. Costs range from $3 to $35 per month.
For full details on prepaid add-ons, check out their support page.
Do They Offer Bring Your Own Device/Sim-Only Plans?
Yes! Virgin Mobile makes it simple to bring your own supported, carrier-unlocked phone with you to their network. You’ll even save month-to-month over picking up a device from the carrier!
They also offer a phone checking tool to help you get started.
For more information on bringing your own phone to Virgin Mobile, consult their support page.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
There are no credit checks for prepaid service. However, monthly service agreements may require a credit check. At the time of writing, this is a "hard" credit check. This means the check will likely appear on your credit report.
Items needed include 1 of the following:
- Canadian Driver's Licence
- Canadian SIN Card or Letter
- Canadian Credit Card
Plus 1 of the following:
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License (Not applicable if used as one of the items above)
- Valid Canadian or Foreign Passport
- Work Visa
- Department of Defense ID
- Permanent Resident Card
- Native Indian Status Card
- CNIB Card
- Valid, Goverment-Issued Provincial/Territorial Photo ID
- Possession and Acquisition License (PAL)
NOTE: Credit checks from carriers that pull your credit bureau report may impact your credit score. If you're not sure the best options for your credit profile, we suggest contacting the carrier directly before attempting to obtain service.
For more information on credit check requirements and how they might affect your account, consult their Shop with Confidence page.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
While they call it something else--an “Early Exit Charge”--yes. Their Service Terms and Conditions state:
“If you cancel a Virgin Mobile Service that is subject to a Commitment Period prior to the end date, or, if you are a Legacy SuperTab Member with a balance remaining on your Agreement discount, you must pay Virgin Mobile an Early Exit Charge. The Early Exit Charge will be your remaining Device balance (or, for Device Payment Members, the sum of your remaining Monthly Device Payments) at the time of cancellation, as determined in accordance with the "Early Exit Charge" section shown on your Important Member Info ("Early Exit Charge"), plus any applicable taxes.”
Can I Port My Number To or From Virgin Mobile?
While Virgin Mobile states that they can port your number both to and from their service, they don’t provide clear details.
On their one-time charges page, they say:
“If you want to keep a phone number you have with another wireless carrier, you’ll need to visit a Virgin Mobile store and they can transfer the number for you.”
The same page notes that a number change is typically $35.
However, most carriers don’t charge to bring a number in on a new line of service, so contacting customer care is likely your best option.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Yes! Provided you meet a few requirements, Virgin Mobile will unlock your phone for a fee.
- You must be or have been a Virgin Mobile member
- The phone must be locked to the Virgin Mobile network
- The phone must not have a blacklisted IMEI
- The phone must be HSPA/LTE compatible
- Your account must be in good standing. For cancelled accounts, all prior balances must be paid in full.
- Subsidized phones must be active for at least 90 days prior to unlocking.
The base cost for unlocking through Virgin Mobile is $50 plus taxes. For phones under contract or credit limits, the cost is $150 plus taxes. For former Virgin Mobile members, unlocking costs $75 plus taxes.
For additional questions about Virgin Mobile pricing, features and coverage, be sure to check our Virgin Mobile Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.