What You Need to Know
Offering 4G LTE and 3G services throughout in Quebec, Videotron is known for its double data packages and music streaming without fees. Thanks to roaming agreements with other providers, More than 1-million Videotron subscribers enjoy coverage from coast to coast. All-inclusive plans take the hassles out of domestic roaming as well.
Videotron offers postpaid service only. Plans run between $20.95 and $94.95 per month before add-ons and fees. For multiple lines, the multi plan feature offers 4 lines for $159.95 per month.
Need a new phone? Videotron offers a wide range of the latest phone options. Subsidies make it easy to get a great phone at a substantial discount if you agree to a 24-month contract. Already have a phone? Videotron is currently offering up to 25% off your monthly rate for bringing your own phone!
- Bring your own device plans with discounts
- Phone subsidies available
- Many plans include unlimited Canada-wide calling and music streaming
- Flat-rate per-day roaming plans for frequent travelers
- Multiline discount plans
- Regional requirements
- Unlimited Music: Subscribe to a premium-tier plan and enjoy unmetered streaming from 19 of the most popular music services.
- Student Discounts: Sign up for a 24-month contract and show your SPC card to enjoy 10% off your monthly service and a discount of up to $50 off a new phone.
- Unlimited Calling: Many Videotron plans include unlimited Canada-wide calling at no extra charge.
- Daily Travel Passes: Take the worry out of travel with a daily flat-rate pass to more than 100 countries for only $10 per day.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked #4 in the Speedtest Award Report for Canada Q1-Q2 2020 for "Fastest Mobile Network."
- Ranked #1 in J.D. Power's 2018 "2018 Canada Wireless Network Quality Study" for the East region.
- Ranked #2 in J.D. Power's 2016 and 2018 "Canadian Wireless Purchase Experience Satisfaction Study"
- Ranked #3 in J.D. Power's "Canadian Wireless Customer Care Study (2017)"
- Ranked #3 in Ookla’s “Canada’s ISPs & Mobile Networks 2015” in the Quebec region.
- Ranked #2 in JD Power’s “Canadian Wireless Customer Care Study” in 2016
- Videotron currently has an B+ rating with the Better Business Bureau with 7 complaints closed in the past 3 years.
How’s the Network Coverage and Speed?
Videotron’s network offers coverage throughout Quebec with 4G available in most major cities. They partner with Rogers for coverage throughout the rest of Canada.
You can check coverage and network types in your area at the Videotron support page.
In the 2016 PC Magazine study “Fastest Mobile Networks in Canada,” showed download speeds in Montreal averaging 44Mb/sec and upload speeds averaging 23Mb/sec. Speeds in Ottawa measured at 45Mb/sec for downloads and 15Mb/sec for uploads.
In Ookla’s “Canadian ISPs & Mobile Networks 2015” report, they show download speeds averaging 39Mb/sec and upload speeds of 15Mb/sec.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
For most Videotron calling plans--those labeled All-Inclusive--you won’t pay roaming fees for any calls placed inside Canada.
Travelling outside Canada? Videotron offers a number of add-ons to help manage roaming fees.
- Daily Traveller Pass: Use your existing plan in a long list of international destinations starting at $7 per day.
Per use roaming rates vary by destination. For a full list of add-ons and rates, consult their Mobile options for travel page.
Does Videotron Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes. Videotron supports Wi-Fi calling for phones that natively support the feature. At this time, there is no mention of an app for non-supported phones.
For full details, consult their Wi-Fi calling page.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Yes. However, support is currently limited to iPhones newer than the iPhone 6.
For full details, consult their VoLTE FAQ.
What About Long Distance Fees?
Many Videotron plans include Canada-wide calling with no long distance fees. However, some only include local calling. For $12 per month, you can add Unlimited US and Canada calling to these plans.
All calls between Videotron mobiles are free regardless of your plan tier.
For international calls, rates differ by country. You can find more about specific calling rates on the Videotron’s International Calls from Quebec page.
Can I Tether My Phone?
Do They Offer Data Rollover?
No, Videotron does not offer any form of data rollover.
Do They Offer Add-ons or Bundles?
Yes! You’ll find a variety of options not listed in the previous sections for adding features to your plan or increasing allowances.
Popular options include:
- Mobile device protection for $7 per month
- Premium voicemail features starting at $5 per month
- Caller ID for $5 per month
- Unlimited incoming calls for $10 per month
- Unlimited text messaging for $15 per month
- Voicemail to text for $5 per month
- Caller ID for $1 per month
For a full list of add-ons, consult their Options page.
Can I Bring My Own Device?
Yes! Videotron supports most unlocked GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ devices. In many cases, this will also provide a discount on your monthly rate.
You can find additional information on their Bring Your Own Device page.
Do They Require A Contract?
This depends on your needs.
If you do not have your own phone or the ability to pay retail price for a phone at the time of service, the subsidies from Videotron require a 24-month commitment.
However, Bring Your Own Device plans are not subject to contracts.
What About Activation and SIM Fees?
Videotron charges a $45 one-time activation fee for every new line of service.
If you bring your own phone or tablet, you'll also need a Videotron SIM.
Videotron offers $10 SIM kits through customer support and retail locations.
NOTE: Fees often differ between retail stores and websites. Be sure to check both before signing up or adding a line to your account to maximize savings.
What About Early Termination Fees?
If you have a contract agreement or received a subsidy, there will be a fee for you to cancel service with Videotron. Their Terms and Conditions state:
“(a) If the cancelled Contract is a fixed-term contract, the indemnity payable will be equivalent to the economic inducement indicated in such Contract less the amount obtained by multiplying this inducement by a fraction representing the elapsed period since the Contract took effect as compared to the total number of months of the Contract in question.
(b) If the cancelled Contract is a contract for an indeterminate term, the indemnity payable will be equivalent to the rebate granted on the selling price of the Equipment acquired, less the amount obtained by multiplying this rebate by the elapsed period since the Contract took effect as compared to the total number of months up to the end of the vesting period of the granted rebate indicated in the Contract.”
For more information on Videotron’s early termination fees, we recommend contacting Videotron and discussing the issue with one of their representatives.
Can I Port My Number To or From Videotron?
Videotron follows all Wireless Number Portability guidelines allowing you to transfer your number from an existing landline or mobile line to your new Videotron line of service.
Requirements are as follows:
- The account from which you are transferring the number must be assigned to the same name and address as your Videotron account.
- The account you’re transferring from must be in good standing--including payment of any fees resulting from the porting of the number.
- The number you’re transferring must be local to your service area.
To start the process, contact Videotron customer care.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Yes! According to CRTC Wireless Code regulations effective December 2017, they must unlock your phone free of charge upon request. If you received a subsidy on your phone, you must wait 90 days before unlocking your phone.
They’ll unlock any Videotron phone provided the following conditions are met:
- Your Videotron account must be in good standing.
- The phone must not be reported lost or stolen.
Unlocking your phone is as simple as visiting your nearest Videotron Store or contacting customer service.
For more information, check their Unlock Your Videotron Phone page.
For additional questions about Videotron pricing, features, and coverage, be sure to check out our Videotron Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.
Voice network: GSM, UMTS
Data network: GPRS, HSPA, LTE
300, Viger Avenue East, Montreal, Quebec
1-877-512-0911 (or 611 from your cell)
Official Website, Facebook, Twitter, Coverage Maps, Manage Your Account
Use this product?
Help inform others by sharing your experience with Videotron
Visit the Videotron Q&A Forum to get answers, ask a question or help others.