What You Need to Know
Started as Cantel in 1985, Rogers was the first carrier to offer nationwide Canadian mobile phone service. As of 2016, Rogers is Canada’s largest wireless carrier with nearly 10-million subscribers.
Rogers offers prepaid and postpaid services. Postpaid services range from $25 to $385 per month with add-ons for tablet data plans as well. Prepaid plans range from $30 to $65. All plans include unlimited messaging.
If you need a phone, Rogers’ Tab plans offer flexible payment options. If you have a phone already, Rogers supports a range of GSM, UMTS, HSPA and LTE devices.
- No-contract plans available
- Bring your own device plans
- Tab phone financing plans
- Unlimited messaging
- Canada-wide calling available for most plans
- Higher prices than budget carriers
- Ranked last in J.D. Power's "Canadian Wireless Customer Care Study (2017)"
- Ranked #7 out of 8 in J.D. Power’s 2016 “Canadian Wireless Customer Care Study”
- Ranked last in J.D. Power’s 2016 “Canadian Wireless Purchase Experience Study”
Rogers Tab plans: Different Tab tiers allow you to find the perfect balance between upfront costs and monthly payments when picking up a new device.
Share Everything plans: Makes it easy to share data across a group of devices for added savings.
Bundled Services: Rogers has deals with popular content services to bring your favorite music, movies and TV shows to your mobile or tablet.
Roam Like Home: For a small daily fee, you can enjoy mobile usage in the US and abroad without worrying about bill shock when you get home.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked #3 for 3G and 4G speeds in Tutela's 2018 "Mobile Experience Report"
- Ranked #2 in the East region in J.D. Power's 2018 "2018 Canada Wireless Network Quality Study"
- Ranked #3 in the Speedtest Award Report for Q1-Q2 2020 in both the "Fastest Mobile Network" and "Best Mobile Coverage" fields.
- Rogers currently has a B- rating with the Better Business Bureau with 544 complaints closed in the past 3 years
How's the Network Coverage and Speed?
You can check coverage and network types in your area at the Rogers support page.
Ranked third for download speeds in both the 4G and 3G network categories in Tutela's 2018 "Mobile Experience Report", tests showed an average speed of 16.12Mbits/sec for 4G downloads and 3.92Mbits/sec for 3G downloads. Uploads speeds averaged 7.73Mbits/sec across both 4G and 3G networks.The 2016 PC Magazine study “Fastest Mobile Networks in Canada” merges the Fido and Rogers networks. However, the networks ranked second on the national level with an average LTE download speed of 43.20Mbits/sec. The average national upload speed was 21.80Mbits/sec.
Additional data from OpenSignal shows an average 4G LTE download speed for 16.9Mb/sec and an average 3G download speed of 2.2Mb/sec. 4G upload speeds measured at 7.5Mb/sec with 3G coming at 0.7Mb/sec.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
For the majority of Rogers plans -- those labeled “Canada-wide” -- you’ll enjoy calling from anywhere in Canada with no worries of roaming fees.
Outside of Canada, fees vary. Fortunately, Rogers offers Roam Like Home to keep costs reasonable while travelling. If you’re traveling in the US, Roam Like Home allows unlimited US roaming for $8 per day. Travel to more than 179 destinations around the world is only $12 per day.
Roam Like Home billing is limited to 15 days per billing cycle to help keep costs low.
Traveling to Europe? Roam Like Home offers unlimited roaming for $12 per day.
For additional information on roaming fees and PAYG rates for other destinations, consult their support page.
What About Long Distance Fees?
Most Rogers plans offer Canada-wide calling for a small fee. For these plans, most calls within Canada will not cost extra.
If you frequently call the US, there is an unlimited calling option for $15 per month.
Per-minute international rates vary by destination. However, for $5 per month, you can access much lower rates on international calls with the Rogers Value Pack.
To find out more about long distance fees and add-ons, check their support page.
Does Rogers Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Yes. If you have a supporting phone, they allow calling over Wi-Fi at no additional charge. They do not currently offer an app for Wi-Fi calling on non-supported phones.
Not sure if your phone is compatible? Consult their Wi-Fi Calling - Everything You Need to Know page.
For additional terms and information on how to use Wi-Fi Calling, check their Wi-Fi Calling FAQ.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Yes. When using VoLTE on a compatible phone, you can switch between voice and video calls as well as use 4G data while on calls.
Not sure if your phone is compatible? Check their VoLTE FAQs.
For LTE coverage in your area, check their coverage map.
Can I Tether My Mobile?
As long as your plan includes a data plan of at least 1GB, tethering is included in your plan at no extra charge. We were unable to find an official charge for plans under 1GB. However, checking the Rogers forums showed that many users across various data plans had no problems with tethering and extra charges.
Be aware that tethering with a PC, game console or another device might cause increased data consumption. Any data used by those devices while tethered counts against your data bucket. Always tether with caution.
Do They Offer Data Rollover?
No. Rogers does not offer rollover on either postpaid or prepaid service.
What Add-ons or Bundles are Available?
All Rogers plans include standard voicemail and caller ID. Add-ons make it easy to add extra features to your account. Options differ between prepaid and postpaid accounts.
Popular postpaid add-ons include:
- Rogers Value Pack: For $5 per month you can get text transcription of voicemails, expanded voicemail storage, preferred rates for international and US calls, unlimited texts and picture messages to the US and international destinations, Caller ID with name display and notifications when you’ve missed a call due to being out of your coverage area or the phone is powered off.
- Value Pack with Device Protection: For $13 per month, you can enjoy device protection along with the features listed above.
- Data Top-Ups: When your data bucket is running out, Rogers will send a text offering a top-up. You can add 300MB for $7 or 1GB for $15. You can use top ups up to 3 times per month. Top-ups do not roll over from month to month.
Popular prepaid add-ons include:
- Canadian Text Messaging: Extra text messages in bundles ranging from 30 messages to unlimited messaging are available. Prices range from $3 to $15.
- Unlimited International Text Messaging: Keep in touch with friends and family anywhere in the world for only $20 per month.
- Data Top-Ups: Bundles ranging from 100MB to 2GB of data make it easy to boost your data bucket. Prices start at $10 and top out at $50.
- Data Passes: For infrequent data access passes offer 10MB in a 24-hour period for $1 per day or 60MB per week for $5.
- Preferred Rate Add-ons: With add-ons for both North American and International calls, these $5 add-ons drastically reduce the per-minute rate to destinations around the world.
Do They Offer Bring Your Own Device/Sim-Only Plans?
Yes! Most carrier-unlocked GSM, UMTS, HSPA and LTE devices will work with the Rogers network.
For Share Everything plans, bringing your own device even nets you a small monthly discount!
You can find more about device-specific settings and support on their support page.
Do They Require a Credit Check?
There are no credit checks for prepaid service. However, monthly service agreements will require a credit check. At the time of writing, this is a "hard" credit check. This means the check will likely appear on your credit report.
Items needed include 1 of the following:
- Canadian Driver's Licence
- Canadian SIN Card or Letter
- Canadian Credit Card
Plus 1 of the following:
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License (Not applicable if used as one of the items above)
- Valid Canadian or Foreign Passport
- Work Visa
- Department of Defense ID
- Permanent Resident Card
- Native Indian Status Card
- CNIB Card
- Valid, Government-Issued Provincial/Territorial Photo ID
- Possession and Acquisition License (PAL)
One of the items provide must include your date of birth or a third item containing the information must be supplied.
NOTE: Credit checks from carriers that pull your credit bureau report may impact your credit score. If you're not sure the best options for your credit profile, we suggest contacting the carrier directly before attempting to obtain service.
For more information on credit check requirements and how they might affect your account, consult their Community Forums.
What About Activation and SIM Fees?
Rogers charges a $50 connection fee for every new line of service.
However, MobileSyrup notes that you might be able to avoid the connection fee if you chat with customer support or submit your order online.
To bring your own phone or tablet, you'll need a Rogers SIM.
SIM kits are available on the Rogers website and at retail locations for $10.
NOTE: Fees often differ between retail stores and websites. Be sure to check both before signing up or adding a line to your account to maximize savings.
Do They Charge an Early Termination Fee?
If you have a term contract or a remaining Tab balance, you might have to pay an early termination fee to end service. Exact formulas are not posted on the website. However, most carriers start with the total of your discount and subtract an amount per month of service to determine your fee.
Contacting their customer support team is the best option for finding out specifics for particular plans, contracts or devices.
Can I Port My Number To or From Rogers?
Rogers adheres to all Local Number Portability requirements. This means that you should be able to port your number to or from Rogers as long as a few conditions are met.
- The account with the number must be active and in good standing.
- Rogers must offer service in the area where the number is based.
- Number portability must be available in the area where the number is based.
- The number must not be assigned to a pager.
In most cases, the process takes up to 72 hours to complete.
For more information about porting numbers to or from this carrier, refer to their support page.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Yes! According to CRTC Wireless Code regulations effective December 2017, they must unlock your phone free of charge upon request. If you received a subsidy on your phone, you must wait 90 days before unlocking your phone.
You can stop by any store or contact Rogers by phone, email or chat to start the unlocking process.
For additional questions about Rogers pricing, features, and coverage, be sure to check our Rogers Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.
Voice network: GSM 850 / 1900 MHz, UMTS
Data network: GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, HSPA+, LTE
333 Bloor Street East, 10th Floor Toronto, Ontario M4W 1G9
1-855-381-7834 (or 611 from your cell)
Review Sources and Citations
Use this product?
Help inform others by sharing your experience with Rogers