Offering 4G LTE and 3G services throughout Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador, Eastlink offers rates that many of the big carriers can’t touch.
Outside the Eastlink network regions, subscribers enjoy free coverage from partnerships with other major Canadian carriers. Most plans include calling anywhere in Canada at no additional charge.
Eastlink offers both postpaid and prepaid service. Prepaid plans run between $15 and $60 per month before add-ons and fees. Postpaid plans run between $25 and $110 per month before add-ons and fees. Need lines for the whole family? Their multi-line plan offers up to 5 lines of service with shared minutes and data for $150 per month.
Their EasyTab device financing makes it easy to get a great phone and pay it off over a 24-month contract. Already have a phone? Their network supports unlocked phones on the 1700 and 2100 MHz bands.
- Worry-Free US Roaming: For $5 per day, you can use your existing minutes, texts and data allotment anywhere in the U.S.
- Daily Travel Packs: Enjoy access to minutes, data and text messaging for a flat-rate in popular destinations around the world using their travel packs. Packs vary in length from 3 days to a month to cover trips short or long.
- Switching Bonus: At the time of writing, Eastlink offers up to $200 per line to help cover early termination fees from your existing carrier if you switch.
- Unlimited Calling: Many Eastlink plans include unlimited Canada-wide calling at no extra charge.
- Multiline Discounts: Help keep bills down and manage usage for the whole family with a multi-line discount. Discounts vary based on the plan.
Awards and Recognitions
How’s the Network Coverage and Speed?
Eastlink’s network offers coverage throughout Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island with 4G available in most major cities. They partner with other carriers for coverage throughout the rest of Canada.
You can check coverage and network types in your area at the Eastlink support page.
In the 2016 PC Magazine study “Fastest Mobile Networks in Canada,” Eastlink showed download speeds in Halifax averaging 33Mb/sec and upload speeds averaging 18Mb/sec. Speeds on Prince Edward Island measured at 27Mb/sec for downloads and 15Mb/sec for uploads.
In Ookla’s “Canadian ISPs & Mobile Networks 2015” report for Nova Scotia, they showed download speeds averaging 31Mb/sec and upload speeds of 13Mb/sec.
Do They Charge Roaming Fees?
For most Eastlink calling plans--those labeled All-Inclusive--you won’t pay roaming fees for any calls placed inside Canada.
For travel outside the country, Eastlink offers flat-rate travel packs for predictable billing and added savings.
- easyTravel roaming: Use your existing plan and allotment in 60+ international destinations for $8 to $12 per day.
- U.S. Combo Packs: Unlimited talk and text and additional data starting at $15 for 3-days.
- Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Australia and Oceania Combo Packs: Additional minutes, text and data starting at $40 per month.
- Cuba Combo Packs: Additional minutes, text and data starting at $60 per month.
- Asia and Latin America Combo Packs: Additional minutes, text and data starting at $60 per month.
- African Combo Packs: Additional minutes and text starting at $80 per month.
Per use roaming rates vary by destination. You can find a full list of peruse rates on the U.S. & International Travel page.
What About Long Distance Fees?
Many Eastlink plans include Canada-wide calling with no long distance fees. However, some only include local calling. For $10 per month, you can add unlimited calling to the US to any unlimited Canada talk plan.
All calls between Eastlink mobiles on the same account are free regardless of your plan tier.
For international calls, rates depend on the country you’re calling. You can find more about specific calling rates on Eastlink’s International Long Distance page.
Does Eastlink Offer Wi-Fi Calling?
Not yet. However, they have mentioned on Twitter that they are working on the feature.
How About Voice over LTE (VoLTE)?
Yes. Eastlink recently enabled VoLTE service for select phones.
For additional details and compatibility listings, consult their VoLTE page.
Can I Tether My Phone?
Eastlink advised us that tethering is not available at the time of writing. They recommend using a sharable data plan and their USB data stick or an extra SIM instead.
Do They Offer Data Rollover?
No, Eastlink does not offer any form of data rollover.
Do They Offer Add-ons or Bundles?
Yes! Should you need to increase your minutes, data allotment or add a feature to your plan, you’ll find a range of options on your Eastlink account page.
Popular options include:
- Voicemail upgrades starting at $5 per month
- Unlimited calling to and from up to 10 Canadian numbers for $10 per month
- Unlimited calling to the US from $15 per month
- Unlimited international texting for $5 per month.
For a full list of options, consult their Add-Ons page.
Can I Bring My Own Device?
Yes! Eastlink supports most unlocked phones that can use the 1700 and 2100 MHz bands.
You can find additional information on their Bring Your Own Device page.
Do They Require A Contract?
It depends on your needs.
If you do not have your own phone or the ability to pay retail price for a phone at the time of service, the financing options from Eastlink require a 24-month commitment.
However, if you bring your own device, pay upfront for a new device, or choose a prepaid plan, you don’t need to worry about contracts.
What About Activation and SIM Fees?
A one-time fee of $20 is applied on your first bill to activate with Eastlink.
However, they do charge a $10 SIM fee.
SIM fees apply to both new plans using a device purchased from Eastlink and Bring Your Own Phone plans.
NOTE: Fees often differ between retail stores and websites. Be sure to check both before signing up or adding a line to your account to maximize savings.
What About Early Termination Fees?
Since there are no contracts unless you finance a new device, there’s no worry about extra fees if you cancel.
If you use the easyTab feature, the remaining balance on your phone is due at the time of cancellation.
We recommend contacting Eastlink if you have additional questions about cancellation fees.
Can I Port My Number To or From Eastlink?
Eastlink follows all Wireless Number Portability guidelines allowing you to transfer your number from an existing landline or mobile line to your new Eastlink line of service.
Requirements are as follows:
- The account from which you are transferring the number must be assigned to the same name and address as your Eastlink account.
- The account you’re transferring from must be in good standing--including payment of any fees resulting from the porting of the number.
- The number you’re transferring must be local to your service area.
To start the process, contact Eastlink customer care.
Will They Unlock My Phone?
Phones sold by Eastlink are already unlocked!
For additional questions about Eastlink pricing, features, and coverage, be sure to check out our Eastlink Q&A Forum. It’s filled with questions and answers from people like you looking to get the most out of their mobile service!
If you spot any errors or missing information, please let us know! It's appreciated and will help make this page better for everyone.