Facebook announced that it is bringing hashtags to the social network, now allowing users to organize and filter messages around a single topic or theme. The Mark Zukerberg-led company acknowledged that hashtags have become "a vital part of popular culture" and users have been prefixing key words and phrases with "#" for some time. This time though, Facebook will make the hashtags clickable, and clicking will bring up a list of posts from friends and pages that you follow that contnain the tag.
What Else You Need To Know
- Users can search for a specific hashtag from the search bar and click on hashtags that originate from Instagram and other services.
- Facebook says hashtags "are just the first step" and more features like trending hashtags will arrive in the coming weeks.
- Twitter has popularized the hashtag, and other services like Facebook's Instagram, Tumblr, and Pinterest have adopted the feature.
Facebook and Twitter regularly grab features from each other as use cases for the two social networks continue to overlap.- Emil Protalinski, The Next Web
- The Next Web
- Facebook copies Twitter yet again, launches hashtags to let users add context and discover shared interests
- #FML Facebook Introduces Hashtags
- Facebook Now Sports Clickable Hashtags
- Business Insider SAI
- Hashtags Are Coming To Your Facebook News Feed (FB)
- Facebook pulls a Twitter/Google, adds in hashtags for Users
- What a #copycat: Facebook apes Twitter with hashtags
- How to Use Hashtags on Facebook
- Trusted Reviews - Phones
- Facebook finally brings hashtags to the conversation, trending topics coming soon