Until I figure out how to set the apps and the phone so that it stops wasting data, I need to run the thing in safe mode.
1. Hold down the physical power button on your device.
2. Long-press the “Power off” option that appears.
3. A dialog box asking you if you want to reboot to safe mode may pop up. Tap OK.
4. When the phone reboots, you should see a “Safe Mode” watermark at the botom left of the screen, to let you know that you are in fact in safe mode.
If that doesn't work, try this:
1. Turn off your phone.
2. Once your phone is off, turn it on by pressing the power button.
3. As your phone is booting, hold down both the volume up and volume down buttons (yes, both) and keep them held.
4. Once your phone has booted, you should see a “Safe Mode” watermark at the bottom left of the screen, to let you know that you are in fact in safe mode.