The HTC Touch 3050 is a capable newcomer to the newly popularized touch-screen PDA market.
The Touch is unique in that its overall dimensions are small, only 10.1 cm x 5.9 cm x 1.4 cm, however it has a wonderful, 2.8” high resolution screen that practically fills the entire face of the device.
Running on Telus and Bell CDMA networks in Canada and AllTel, Sprint and Verizon in the US, the Touch is high-speed data (EVDO REV A) capable and features email via Microsoft’s ActiveSync, instant messaging with Windows Live, text messaging, speakerphone and more.
Additional features include:
- - Speed dialing with quick contact look-up
- - 2.0 megapixel camera with digital zoom, adjustable resolution, image capture and video playback
- - Can be used as a modem to connect your laptop to the internet (required cable included)
- - Bluetooth Wireless Technology for hands-free headset
- - MicroSD slot allows for up to 4GB
- - Mini-USB accessory port
- - Synchronize Contacts, Calendar Events, Tasks, etc., and able to access Microsoft Outlook
- - Pocket Express Services: Pocket Express allows users to customer news feeds, including sports, weather and more
- - Edit Microsoft Word and Excel document and view PowerPoint documents
- - MP3 and video playback via Windows Media Player 10
- - More
The Touch has a customizable “Today Screen” and uses HTC’s TouchFlo technology to provide the user with a wonderful interactive experience much like the iPhone.
This TouchFlo user interface, however, does not extend much beyond the “today screen”, where Windows Mobile 6 soon takes over. One moment you are interacting with the device almost exactly like an iPhone, but for everything else you are relegated to the Windows operating system.
Unlike the iPhone and Prada, the HTC Touch did not have its operating system and user interface developed in tandem, so it does lack a seamless, uniform user experience. The end result is somewhat schizophrenic; it hints of what could be but ultimately is Windows driven.
To be fair, Windows Mobile 6 does grant the user entry into the well-heeled and popular MS operating universe, which also includes numerous third party applications which can be added.
What’s in the Box:
- - HTC Touch smartphone
- - AC Charger
- - Battery
- - 1GB microSD card with adapter
- - Wired stereo headset
- - Carrying Case
- - Extra stylus
- - Screen protector
- - USB Data and charging cable
- - Mini USB splitter
- - Companion CD with ActiveSynce and Outlook software
- - Quick Start Guide
The HTC Touch is a powerful, full-featured smartphone and comes with everything you need to get started enjoying it right away. But be aware that due to the incongruous OS and UI, you will be effortlessly interacting with TouchFlo one moment, and tapping with a stylus the next.